By - admin

Vanda’s experimental COVID-19 drug shows promise in interim trial data

first_imgCOVID-19 patients with pneumonia improved faster when treated with Vanda Pharmaceuticals Inc’s experimental therapy than those on placebo, the company said on Tuesday, citing an interim analysis of data from a late-stage study.Shares of the US drug developer rose over 13% before the opening bell.While the data from 60 patients showed that a 14-day treatment with the drug, tradipitant, helped speed up clinical improvements by day seven, the company warned a larger patient size was needed to confirm the benefit. So far, Gilead Sciences Inc’s antiviral remdesivir and the generic steroid dexamethasone have been shown to help patients with COVID-19 in rigorous clinical trials.The US drug developer, which licensed tradipitant from Eli Lilly and Co in 2012, eventually plans to enroll 300 patients in the late-stage trial.The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has imposed a partial clinical hold on tradipitant trials that are longer than 12 weeks, citing the need for additional studies before testing the drug in humans beyond that timeframe. A US court sided with the FDA in January over a legal dispute related to the agency’s decision.The drug is also being tested as a treatment for various conditions including atopic dermatitis and motion sickness. The company says the drug targets a receptor in the body that could be associated with causing lung injury.Vanda said the drug’s properties as an anti-inflammatory agent would complement antiviral drugs for COVID-19, if the results from its analysis were confirmed.Topics :last_img read more

By - admin

Governor Wolf Applauds Legislature for Cementing His Pennsylvania Business One-Stop Shop into Statute

first_imgGovernor Wolf Applauds Legislature for Cementing His Pennsylvania Business One-Stop Shop into Statute SHARE Email Facebook Twitter October 18, 2018center_img Economy,  Jobs That Pay,  Press Release Harrisburg, PA – Today, Governor Tom Wolf applauded the legislature for the passage of House Bill 1284, which codifies into statute the governor’s PA Business One-Stop Shop initiative designed to help entrepreneurs in all stages of starting and running a business.“As a former business owner, I know that for too long the processes and procedures for starting and running a business were a barrier to entry for so many entrepreneurs across the commonwealth,” Governor Wolf said. “I’m proud that my PA Business One-Stop Shop has successfully eased that burden on entrepreneurs. I applaud the legislature for recognizing that success and cementing the one-stop shop into statute.”The PA Business One-Stop Shop was developed to address identified areas of need for entrepreneurs and small business owners across the commonwealth and assists with planning a business, registration and permitting, hiring employees, and funding and technical assistance. The PA Business One-Stop Shop consolidates information from many agencies into one easy-to-use website. It is intended to take the guesswork out of many business operations and procedures and serves as an equalizer for any who want to start and run a business in Pennsylvania.Governor Wolf initially proposed the PA Business One-Stop Shop in his budget address for the 2017-18 fiscal year, and officially launched the program one year later during his 2018-2019 budget address in February 2018. The One-Stop Shop has quickly built momentum since launch, generating more than 71,000 unique visits to the website and receiving critical buy-in and support from partners across the commonwealth like Small Business Development Centers. When Governor Wolf signs HB1284 into law, it will cement the PA Business One-Stop Shop into statute and secure its future.In addition to the PA Business One-Stop Shop website, aspiring entrepreneurs or current business owners can also call a phone number, (833)722-6778, to connect to a team of dedicated business consultants and subject matter experts who can answer questions. Together, the website and team of experts will help guide and support businesses through all stages of development from planning and startup to operation and expansion.The PA Business One-Stop Shop can be found at business.pa.gov. For more information about the Wolf Administration’s commitment to helping businesses grow and thrive, visit the DCED website or follow us on Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, and YouTube.last_img read more

By - admin

Gov. Wolf Signs Senate Bill 841 to Provide Flexibility to Local Governments and Businesses

first_imgGov. Wolf Signs Senate Bill 841 to Provide Flexibility to Local Governments and Businesses Bill Signing,  Economy,  Press Release Governor Tom Wolf signed Senate Bill 841 today that helps local communities and businesses respond to the COVID-19 emergency and protect the public. The bill provides flexibility on property tax deadlines, allows remote public meetings and notarization of documents so online vehicle sales can resume.“This bipartisan legislation gives local governments and businesses additional options to help property taxpayers and address various needs,” said Gov. Wolf. “COVID-19 remains a very real threat and each of us needs to continue doing our part to cut back on physical interactions. This new law is a measured and safe way to provide relief as we continue to monitor the spread of the virus.”The bill does the following:Reauthorizes the Pennsylvania Health Care Cost Containment Council and requires it to study the impact of COVID-19 on hospitals and health systems.Allows local governments to conduct remote public meetings.Provides property tax relief by allowing taxing districts to waive late fees and penalties for property taxes paid by December 31, 2020.Allows school districts to renegotiate contracts with service providers to ensure payment of personnel and fixed costs during the school closure.Allows remote notarization of documents.The governor vetoed Senate Bill 613.View this information in Spanish. April 20, 2020center_img SHARE Email Facebook Twitterlast_img read more

By - admin

Icelandic funds ‘optimistic’ about relaxation of capital controls by 2016

first_imgThe ISK2.9trn (€18.9bn) Icelandic pension fund industry is optimistic capital controls in place on foreign investment will be lifted by the end of 2015, with a parliamentary process expected to start this week.Capital controls on Icelandic investors have been in place since the 2008 financial crisis which saw the near collapse, and bailing out, of the country’s banking system and a significant economic downturn.Thorey Thordardottir, chief executive of the Icelandic Pension Fund Association, said the organisation was hopeful the lifting of restrictions would begin soon, despite expectations of such simmering for some time.Finance minister, Bjarni Benediktsson, of the coalition government’s Independence Party, is expected to place a bill before Parliament this week, after taking legal advice last July on devising a plan to lift controls. A year earlier, the then-new coalition government began setting out its plans on lifting controls but little movement was seen after.“We are very optimistic it will happen this week and allow pension funds to start gradually investing abroad again,” Thordardottir said.“It will still be limited, perhaps with a quota for the industry, but it will allow the pension funds to diversify their allocation and remove the concentration in Iceland.“Our pension funds need to allocate globally and not just domestically.”Icelandic pension funds had around 30% of assets invested abroad pre-crisis. The allocation has fallen to 24% since, with holdings of ISK685bn in international securities, as investors were only able to re-invest capital already outside the country.The association previously said it considered the ideal proportion of assets invested abroad to be 40-50%.However, Thordardottir said it was still unknown how quickly and how far pension funds would be able to shift capital out of the country, as she expected limitations to still be in place from the finance ministry and central bank.“We have not heard any figures or how this [lifting of controls] will be implemented, but after discussions [with the Central Bank] we are optimistic about this going ahead and starting later this year,” she added.Icelandic pension funds delivered a 7.2% investment return in 2014, up from 5.3% a year earlier, with assets roughly 150% of Iceland’s GDP.By last year, the investors had acquired a third of the country’s listed shares with around half of their assets underwritten by the Icelandic government, up from 25% pre-crisis.“There will still be some limitation,” Thordardottir said, “but we think this will be a right step for the pension fund system and the Icelandic economy.”Speaking with IPE in November 2014, several Icelandic pension fund managers said given the lack of movement on lifting controls, it would take years to revert to pre-crisis levels with a free movement of capital.last_img read more

By - admin

Swedish government drops AP fund reform following backlash

first_imgThe announcement comes after a meeting of Pensionsgruppen – the cross-party body, with representatives of the two government and four opposition parties, tasked with reaching a consensus on pension reform – failed to reach a joint position on the reform’s future.The move follows several months of criticism from the opposition Liberal People’s Party (FP), which had signed off on the reform before proposals were unveiled this summer, and was in government in 2011 when the closure of two of the funds was first considered.Within weeks of the proposals’ publication in June, FP leader Jan Björklund questioned whether his party could continue supporting them.The idea of reforming the current system, comprising buffer funds AP1-4 and private equity fund AP6, was subject to an inquiry that, in 2012, recommended the government consider establishing a single buffer fund rather than retaining three. Sweden’s government has cancelled its reforms of the AP Fund system, following resistance from opposition parties.A spokeswoman for Per Bolund, the country’s financial markets minister, confirmed to IPE that the closure of two of the SEK1.2trn (€126bn) system’s buffer funds had been “cancelled”, after the government and opposition parties failed to come to an agreement on the future of the reforms.The reforms, which would have seen the closure of AP6 and a second, as yet-undecided buffer fund, have been criticised for risking “political micromanagement” of the system’s assets.They drew scorn from both the Confederation of Swedish Enterprise – which said they would be “seriously detrimental” to the stability of the system – and Sweden’s central bank, which said they would make long-term investment “difficult if not impossible”.last_img read more

By - admin

Brothel owners escape penalties

first_imgNZ Herald 13 June 2013A Chinese restaurant chef, who has been barred from re-entering New Zealand because she was found working part-time in an Auckland brothel, is crying foul at the lack of action taken against employers of migrant sex workers.In the past 12 months, 25 brothels have been found by Immigration New Zealand investigators to be employing prostitutes who were here on temporary visas, such as international students, tourists or migrant workers.Under the Prostitution Act 2003, only New Zealand citizens and people with residency can work in the sex industry.People who allow a foreign national to provide commercial sexual services are considered to be “aiding and abetting a person to remain in New Zealand unlawfully or breach the conditions of their visa” and face penalties of up to seven years’ imprisonment and/or fines of up to $100,000.But the agency’s acting fraud and compliance manager, Dean Blakemore, said no action had been taken against the 25 brothel owners, including the central Auckland parlour which employed the Chinese chef.http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10890124last_img read more

By - admin

Big-time drug suspect falls in Jaro drug sting

first_imgTijam was believed to be the right handof Richard Prevendido. He continued to operate and he used new faces for hisdrug trading after Previndido’s death in 2017. The 33-year-old resident Ramil Tijam wasnabbed in a drug sting operation in Barangay San Isidro, Jaro district. Police investigatorssaid Tijam was a member of the Prevendido drug trafficking group. Hewas included in the list of Iloilo City Police Office’s “high-value” targetsfor 2020. Based on Police Regional Office 6’s data,Iloilo City has three “high-value” targets. But Colonel Martin Defensor Jr.,the city top cop, said the number could still as they will update their listthis month. Ten more sachets of suspected illegaldrugs were seized during his apprehension 9 p.m. on Jan. 2, a police reportshowed. ILOILO City – He was tagged as a“high-value” drug suspect. Prior to his arrest, an undercoverofficer initially bought from Tijam a sachet of suspected shabu for P700. “We have to review the list. Baka madagdagan or talagang dalawa nalang ang remaining. Depende ‘yan sa pag review natin,” Defensor said./PNlast_img read more

By - admin

Duterte to LGUs: Follow guidelines or face criminal charges

first_imgMANILA – Local government unit (LGU)officials who refuse to abide by the enhanced community quarantine guidelinesset by the national government could face criminal charges, President RodrigoDuterte said. Duterte’s warning came after Departmentof Interior and Local Government (DILG) spokesperson Jonathan Malaya said localgovernment officials defying the rules, such as non-observance of socialdistancing reminders, will be slapped with gross negligence or insubordinationcharges. “Sundinna lang natin dahil para naman ito sa lahat [Let usobey because this is for everyone’s benefit]. Do not try to overdo things orthink that you can do what you want to do because that is not allowed,” Dutertesaid. Duterte directed the DILG and Departmentof Justice to “closely monitor the compliance of LGUs in the directives of theOffice and to file the necessary cases against wayward officials.” “If you go beyond the standards that wehave set, you are abusing your authority and you know that this can lead toadministrative cases, or even worse, unless you stop what you’re doing…criminal cases cannot be far behind,” Duterte said. Pasig City’s Mayor Vico Sotto recentlyasked the national government to exempt tricycles from the ban on publictransportation saying he had allowed tricycles in his area to ferry healthworkers and emergency patients to hospitals in Pasig City. center_img The powers given to President Rodrigo Duterte will only be effective for three months — “unless extended by Congress. PCOO Addressing local officials early morningyesterday, President Duterte urged them to comply with the guidelines issued bythe Inter-Agency Task Force on Emerging and Infectious Diseases (IATF-EID). “I know you have the mandate to dealwith the emergencies affecting your localities. I was a mayor myself in caseyou have forgotten. But this is an emergency of national proportions andtherefore, it is the national government that should call the shots,” he added. Based on the latest count from theDepartment of Health, the country has 217 COVID-19 cases, with 17 deaths andeight recoveries./PNlast_img read more

By - admin

Two firefighters killed in Madison County airport accident

first_imgMarion, In. — A report from Fox59 says two volunteer firefighters were killed in a Madison County airport runway mishap on Monday at the Marion Municipal Airport.A report from the Federal Aviation Administration says around 5:30 p.m. a Cessna 150 was attempting to take off when it struck the tail of a Cessna 525 Citation that had just landed.Kyle Hibst, 31, and David Wittkamper, 31, both of Elwood, were in the Cessna 150 and were killed. There is no information about possible injuries to the five people onboard the Cessna 525 Citation.Hibst and Wittkamper were members of the Pipe Creek Township Fire Department in Madison County.The crash remains under investigation.last_img read more

By - admin

New Everton deal for Osman

first_img He added: “I have been here since I left school, I am a player and a fan, I love coming to work every day and I am delighted that’s going to continue.” The midfielder explained that uncertainty over Everton’s next manager had not affected his desire to remain a Blue. “We are not quite sure what’s going to happen with a manager but I am still delighted to have secured my future here at the Club,” he said. “It’s time to take the family on holiday now, enjoy it and recharge the batteries for next season.” The 32-year-old England midfielder has been a mainstay in the Toffees midfield, helping them to a sixth-placed finish in the Barclays Premier League. Osman has been at the club since he was an apprentice, making 284 league appearances. Osman’s previous deal was set to expire at the end of next season and he was delighted to extend his stay at Goodison Park, and he told evertontv: “I am delighted to have put my signature on another contract and secured another year at the club.” Press Associationcenter_img Leon Osman has signed a contract extension which will keep him at Everton until 2015.last_img read more