By - admin

12 days agoBrighton defender Webster has long-term England hopes

first_imgAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Brighton defender Webster has long-term England hopesby Paul Vegas12 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveBrighton defender Adam Webster says he would love to play for England.The 24-year-old centre-half has turned out to be a brilliant piece of recruitment by Graham Potter over the summer. He told The Argus: “One day I would love to play for England.“For me right now, I am just focusing on Albion and taking each game as it comes.“We have got some tough games coming up and I am just fully focused on that right now.” last_img read more

By - admin

Strictly follow action plan to abolish child labour HC to AAP govt

first_imgNew Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Friday directed the AAP government and the police to strictly follow the Delhi Action Plan for Total Abolition of Child Labour, which gives guidelines on the procedure for interim care and protection of the rescued children. The bench of judges said that it is the duty of the authorities to ensure that there is no violation of the provisions of the Child Labour (Prohibition and Regulation) Act and the Bounded Labour System (Abolition) Act. Also Read – Odd-Even: CM seeks transport dept’s views on exemption to women, two wheelers, CNG vehiclesThe Delhi action plan provides a detailed procedure to be adopted at the pre-rescue and actual rescue stage. The pre-rescue plan deals with as to how information is to be collected, verified, and the composition of the rescue team. It also provides for preparation of residential centres through Juvenile Justice Homes and NGOs. Meanwhile, the action plan provides a detailed procedure for interim care and protection of the rescued children and for immediate medical examination of the minors. It also lays out how the investigation is to be conducted and charge sheet is to be prepared. Also Read – More good air days in Delhi due to Centre’s steps: JavadekarIn an action taken report, the Delhi government had earlier said that it rescued 611 children from child labour in 2018-19 out of which 587 has been restored to their families. The Delhi action plan was submitted by the National Commission for Protection of Child Rights and accepted by the High court in its orders in 2009 and 2014. In a July 2009 judgement, the high court had modified the existing provisions for better rehabilitation of child labourers and had widened the involvement of police in rescue operations of child labour in the city. Thereafter, November 2014, the high court had disposed of a petition seeking complete elimination of child labour from the national capital after the city’s additional commissioner of labour had assured the court of action on the issue.last_img read more

By - admin

Turin Cristiano Ronaldo scored his first goal in

first_imgTurin: Cristiano Ronaldo scored his first goal in this season’s Champions League, sealing a 3-0 win for Juventus over Bayer Leverkusen in their Group D game in Turin on Tuesday. Ronaldo blasted in the third goal in the 89th minute to extend his record to 127 strikes in the competition to add to Gonzalo Higuain and Federico Bernardeschi’s earlier efforts. Juventus move top of Group D, level on four points with Atletico Madrid, who defeated Lokomotiv Moscow 2-0 in Russia. The Italian champions had been held 2-2 by the Spaniards at the Wanda Metropolitano in their opener. Also Read – We will push hard for Kabaddi”s inclusion in 2024 Olympics: Rijiju Leverkusen face an uphill battle after their shock 2-1 defeat at home against Lokomotiv Moscow and are rooted to the foot of the table. Juventus next host Lokomotiv and Leverkusen travel to Atletico on October 22. Maurizio Sarri opted for Higuain and Bernardeschi up front alongside five-time Ballon d’Or winner Ronaldo. Leverkusen were struggling from the outset after losing captain Lars Bender in the warm-up to a thigh problem, with defender Mitchell Weiser stepping in. Also Read – Djokovic to debut against Shapovalov at Shanghai Masters The Germans showed little to threaten the hosts, with Lucas Alario shooting over on three minutes with what would be their best chance of the game. The breakthrough came for Juventus when Leverkusen defender Jonathan Tah failed to head clear Juan Cuadrado’s long ball for Higuain, with the Argentine pouncing to drill home. The 31-year-old Higuain, back in Turin after loan spells at AC Milan and Chelsea, had a chance for a second on 38 minutes but was denied by Leverkusen goalkeeper Lukas Hradecky. Juventus piled on the pressure after the break as Ronaldo tried unsuccessfully to pull off an overhead kick in the 55th minute. Ronaldo then sent Higuain in behind, but although the Portuguese failed to connect with his teammate’s return pass, Bernardeschi was lurking to provide the finishing touch. Juventus almost had a third with Hradecky failing to control the ball and almost turning it into his own net before grappling to save on the line. But the Finnish international did well to deny Ronaldo in front of goal after a Higuain charge down the flank. Welsh international Aaron Ramsey was introduced in place of Bernardeschi with Dybala replacing Higuain for the final ten minutes. And in the dying minutes, substitute Rodrigo Bentancur picked out Dybala who slid the ball through for Ronaldo, allowing the 34-year-old to equal Real Madrid great Raul’s record of scoring against 33 different sides in the Champions League.last_img read more

By - admin

Kolkata Paying homage to Mahatma Gandhi on his 15

first_imgKolkata: Paying homage to Mahatma Gandhi on his 150th birth anniversary on Wednesday, West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee said the historic Gandhi Bhavan, that has been renovated by the state government, will be inaugurated on the occasion. “Homage to #MahatmaGandhi ji on his 150th birth anniversary. We will pay tribute to the Father of the Nation at his statue on Mayo Road, #Kolkata. To mark #GandhiJayanti, the historic Gandhi Bhavan in Beleghata, renovated by #Bangla Govt, will be inaugurated today,” Banerjee tweeted. Also Read – Bengal family worships Muslim girl as Goddess Durga in Kumari Puja “The #Bangla Govt has taken up many other initiatives to celebrate #Gandhi150 anniversary, including setting up a university dedicated to #MahatmaGandhi ji in Purba Medinipur district,” she said in another tweet. Rare photographs capturing Mahatma Gandhi’s 1947 stay at Beliaghata area here and articles used by him during the over three-week period when he tried to douse the flames of communal violence, will be on display from Wednesday at the house that hosted him. It has now been developed as a museum. In August and September of 1947, away from the celebration of Independence, Mahatma Gandhi chose to be in Kolkata with some of his followers to calm the rioters down. He stayed in the Beliaghata building during his stay.last_img read more

By - admin

New York Game of Thrones author GRR Martin says

first_imgNew York: ‘Game of Thrones’ author GRR Martin says the final season of the epic fantasy HBO show was “not completely faithful” to his book series, ‘A Song of Fire And Ice’ on which it was based. The remark comes hot on the heels of the eighth and final chapter of ‘GOT’ winning the outstanding drama series Emmy, including an individual trophy for Peter Dinklage in the supporting actor in drama series category. “The (final) series has been… not completely faithful. Otherwise, it would have to run another five seasons,” Martin told Fast Company magazine. Also Read – ‘Terminator: Dark Fate’ has James Cameron’s fingerprints all over it: Arnold SchwarzeneggerThe loss in a book-to-screen adaptation can be “traumatic”, the author admitted. “Because sometimes their creative vision and your creative vision don’t match, and you get the famous creative differences thing – that leads to a lot of conflict,” he added. ‘GOT’ showrunners David Benioff and Dan B Weiss were called out for below par script writing and poor portrayal of women in the last season, resulting in lakhs of fans across the world sign an online petition urging the network to redo the final chapter, which ended in May.last_img read more

By - admin

New Delhi Priyanka Chopra Jonas was offered an ac

first_imgNew Delhi: Priyanka Chopra Jonas was offered an acting role in “The Sky is Pink” but the actor says she wanted to take on the added responsibility as a producer because the story made her feel closer to her parents. Directed by Shonali Bose, the film is the love story of motivational speaker Aisha Chaudhary’s parents, Aditi and Niren. Aisha was diagnosed with pulmonary fibrosis and passed away in 2015. Priyanka, 37, said she wanted to be a part of the project more than just as an actor. Also Read – ‘Terminator: Dark Fate’ has James Cameron’s fingerprints all over it: Arnold Schwarzenegger “This is a story of a real life couple who have thrived under extraordinary circumstances and not been bogged down by it,” she told PTI in an interview. In a reference to Rajesh Khanna-starrer “Anand”, she said, “They put themselves aside and said, ‘Even if I can’t give my daughter a long life, I’m going to give her a big life’. I wanted to take more responsibility of this film because I believed in it so much.” It has been a long wait for Priyanka’s fans as “The Sky is Pink” is her first Hindi film since 2016 after she made a mark for herself in Hollywood with TV show “Quantico”, and films like “Baywatch”, “A Kid Like Jake” and “Isn’t It Romantic”. Also Read – Salman pays tribute to Vinod Khanna on ‘Dabangg 3’ wrap up The actor, who has often said she has been living out of suitcase for quite some time, next touched base with frequent collaborators Ronnie Screwvala and Siddharth Roy Kapur, who were producing the film. She asked the duo whether they would have her on board as a fellow producer, even when she has no experience of backing a Hindi film. Under her banner, Purple Pictures Productions, the actor has produced a string of regional language films, including National Award-winning Marathi titles “Ventilator” (2016) and the soon-to-be-released “Paani”. “I said, ‘Listen, I’ve never produced a Hindi film. But under your tutelage, I would like to learn. Would you have me as a co-producer?’ And they were really wonderful, and they totally took me on.” In the film, Priyanka plays Aditi and Farhan Akhtar will be seen as Niren and she said the couple reminded her of her parents, Madhu and late Ashok Chopra, who died in 2013. “My parents were like that with me. They stood by me and supported me over their own dreams and ambitions. They sacrificed their lives so that I could have mine and I feel like in this cynical world today, where we somehow become solitary from our families. “This is the kind of family film that reminds you, how important family is and how important the support of your family is. I found that just so beautiful, especially in the world of today,” she said. Priyanka described Aditi as “a ferocious mom who was best friends with her daughter”, played by Zaira Wasim in the film. “I’m best friends with my mother. We party together, go to concerts and hang out. She has known my entire journey… from all my boyfriends to my husband. She has been my best person. Seeing that in Aditi to me was as if I was playing what my mother has been to me,” she said. The actor, who is married to American singer Nick Jonas, said she hopes to become a mother like Aditi one day. “I depended a lot on Shonali and Aditi to imbibe what it is like actually. The kind of mother I’m playing in this film is the kind of mom I hope to be someday,” she added. Also featuring Rohit Saraf, the film is slated to hit the screens on October 11.last_img read more

By - admin

New Delhi Facebookowned Instagram is rolling out

first_imgNew Delhi: Facebook-owned Instagram is rolling out a new mode called “Restrict” globally that will let users stop people who bully them via offensive posts or abusive comments. You can restrict someone by swiping left on a comment, through the Privacy tab in Settings, or directly on the profile of the account you intend to restrict, Instagram announced on Wednesday. “Starting today, you can protect your account from unwanted interactions with a new feature called Restrict. Once Restrict is enabled, comments on your posts from a person you have restricted will only be visible to that person,” said the company. You can choose to view the comment by tapping “See Comment”; approve the comment so everyone can see it, delete it or ignore it. “You won’t receive any notifications for comments from a restricted account,” the company added. Direct messages will automatically move to Message Request, and users will not receive notifications from a restricted account. “You can still view the messages but the restricted account will not be able to see when you’ve read their direct messages or when you are active on Instagram. You can choose to “Unrestrict” the account and future messages will go directly to your inbox,” the company added. Instagram is using Artificial Intelligence (AI) to detect bullying and other types of harmful content in comments, photos and videos. Last month, Instagram announced to restrict people under age 18 from viewing posts from celebrity influencers that promote cosmetic surgery and various weight-loss products. Certain posts will be hidden from users under age 18 while others will be removed from Instagram as well as parent company’s platform Facebook, said Instagram’s public policy manager Emma Collins.last_img read more

By - admin

UK Brexit plans stir talk of Irish unity

first_imgDundalk (Ireland): Irish republicans are expressing renewed hopes of reunifying their island in the wake of the UK’s recent Brexit proposals that have been poorly received by both the European Union and the Republic of Ireland. “There is going to be a referendum on Irish unity,” said Gerry Adams, the retired leader of Sinn Fein who played an important role in reaching the 1998 Good Friday agreement that helped end decades of violence. “Brexit has been the accelerator for all of that.” Adams spoke to a public meeting Thursday night that attracted hundreds of people living along the border between the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland. Residents of Northern Ireland voted in favour of keeping Britain inside the EU in the 2016 Brexit referendum.last_img read more

By - admin

Delhi govt launches drive for pothole free PWD roads

first_imgNew Delhi: Delhi government on Saturday launched a mega exercise to free 1260 kms of roads managed by its Public Works Department (PWD) from potholes. Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal in a series of tweets said it was first time that such a big scale road inspection was being done to free the PWD roads from potholes caused by rains and wear and tear. Fifty ruling AAP legislators, each accompanied by an engineer will inspect 25 km of road stretch in their areas. An App will be used to locate and record the potholes and other damages, which will be repaired immediately, said the Chief Minister. Also Read – More good air days in Delhi due to Centre’s steps: Javadekar On Tuesday, Kejriwal has announced to launch the city-wide exercise from October 5 to identify potholes on roads. “It will be like physical audit of PWD’s roads and we will have complete information about the current condition of city’s roads. Fifty MLAs will be part of this exercise,” he had said. Although only some roads in the city come under the PWD which are used by lakhs of vehicles every day. The exercise is aimed at ensuring people face no problems due to bad roads after the rains, Kejriwal said. He said that if team consisting an MLA and a PWD engineer finds potholes, a photo of the same will be uploaded on department’s software for swift action.last_img read more